Hello to all of my followers,

I’m sorry that I have neglected you over the past 9 months. My site has been going through some major upgrades and I want you to know that I have moved away from to, for better design capability. I actually had an auto direct to my new site until my domain expired this month and it was helpful but not to my followers because I didn’t get to tell you ahead of time what was happening.

My new website is located here. and I go by the Dynamic Soarer now.

If you are interested please check it out and if you’d like follow the new blog. I’ve been to quite a few places since I was last able to update this so feel free to look around and I can’t wait to here some of your comments. Let me know if you like it better or what I could do to make it more user-friendly. I’m always looking for new ideas.

Thanks for your patience and please Enjoy!

You guys are awesome,


“When Good Americans Die, they go to Paris” –Oscar Wilde


HOW to travel PARIS in a day with no tour guide:

Well first things first… start off with a mimosa in your hotel lobby… or three because they are delicious and you are in Paris. Oui Oui.

After meeting up with everyone the night before and touring the Eiffel Tower in style it was time to travel the city and see the other exciting sights Paris has to offer.

We got ourselves a map and started our journey using the subway system. We were staying in St. Dennis so it wasn’t far and very easy to figure out once we asked the hotel front desk which stops all of the major scenery was located.

We wanted to tour the Louvre first so we took the subway to that stop and headed the rest of the way on foot. As soon as we exited the subway terminal it was a site to behold. It was so french, probably because we were in France but the only other place I have to compare is England. I just love taking in all of the sites I can so we took pictures, stopped in a few side shops, and stopped in a cafe for some coffee and begets before heading into the center of the Louvre structure.

The line was quite long for the museum but it went very quickly especially since we were laughing and taking many different pictures. I think a few people thought we were crazy.

Once inside we waited in another line to pay and then we headed toward the Mona Lisa because they did in fact have it there. I’ve never been big on the Mona Lisa but my sister had a Mona Lisa snow globe when we were growing up and when you would wind it, it would sing the Mona Lisa song by Nat King Cole which I thought was lovely and catchy too. Of course the room holding her was the most crowded of them all so I squeezed my way up for a quick pic and then was on my way. I had to drag the others away.

After some serious examination (just one small side because is HUGE and you could wonder around for days in there) of the Louvre, we walked back outside and walked through an archway towards the ferris wheel. Once we got to the road We happened upon the Paris Obelisk which is the oldest statue in Paris but was not placed there until 1833.

We bought a few snacks at a road side stand and then hailed a taxi to take us to the Sacre Coeur which is a cathedral that sits above the city and when you walk to it you can look out over Paris. Its quite a stunning view. The walk up was very nice with all kinds of little shops. I tried chocolate dipped marshmallows. yummy. We toured inside the cathedral and took pictures outside then we walked back and headed down to the city to find a place for dinner. While walking on our way we found an area where people were selling paintings and both my sister and I bought one because they were beautiful.

We ate an Italian dinner with good wine and grabbed a taxi afterwards to take us to the Palace of Versailles. The palace is a little bit outside of the city so we zipped along and when we pulled up we had just missed the entry time so we took pictures outside and headed back to Paris to see the Notre Dame.

By this time sunset had already occurred, so we saw the Notre Dame at night which I thought was magnificent. We stopped for a few more drinks then took the subway back to our hotel to rest up because we would be heading towards Zermatt tomorrow and that was the most exciting part!


Oui Oui, la tour Eiffel la nuit!



M and I!

Back on December 9th 2012, I was one night away from pulling into Norfolk VA from my first 7 month deployment and my new duty station assignment came in. I remember it well because we were having quite an intense BINGO game going on and I was right in the middle of trying to win a 50″ television when the captain came down and told me my orders were in and would I like to know where I was going?

<!–more–> Continue reading

He was a bold man that first ate an Oyster!–> Kashima Oyster Festival!!


OYSHI OYSHI! Meaning delicious in Japan also explains how amazing the Oyster festival is! How often are you able to buy a huge bag of oysters, some rice triangles, hot dogs, and corn on the cob to grill for yourself for less than 20 bucks? The oysters themselves would be almost $40 in the U.S. Out here in Japan they are collected by the bucket load so no need to worry.

At the Kashima harbor park we bought our oysters, some beer, and the other foods mentioned above and we had ourselves a delightful afternoon cooking oysters on the grill, listening while they sizzle and when they finally pop they are ready to be pried open and eaten. I was wearing protective gloves because the coals become very hot and oyster shells are no joke in the heat. We munched for a good two hours on oysters, corn, and rice triangles. The Japanese were loving it! The oyster festival lasts the entire month of November in Sasebo and we had been so busy we barely made it the last weekend they were holding it. Lucky us! If I’m in town next year I’ll be back and that’s a fact.

So Good!


Karatsu Autumn Festival


One of my best and most traditional experiences in Japan! Chi, a Japanese friend invited us to a traditional festival in Karatsu Japan on Kyushu Island. Of course we said yes and my sister and I were picked up on a raining morning with another American friend and Chi to hit the road. We were zipping along in seconds and I feel like in Japan the towns are so close but because the speed limit is always so slow and the roads are so narrow and the roads zig and zag it is always hard to get to where you are going quickly.

Karatsu is a town close to Saga and holds the biggest Autumn festival of Kyushu island every year. Karatsu is composed of 14 cho’s (neighborhoods) which each have a giant float made of plastic and lacquer. Each year someone in the cho is chosen to ride on top of the float and a big group of the young men and women and children pull the floats through the city with long ropes while they beat drums and play music. It was amazing!

Floats of Karatsu

Floats of Karatsu


Before the parade started we went to a traditional Japanese house for dinner. During the festival which lasts the whole week, there is much food prepared to celebrate. A large fish is cooked under hot coals for 3 days time and there are just platters of everything. We came inside the house, removed our shoes, and were ushered to sit down at a low table laden with food. We were then given small bowls and dishes to try the food to our hearts content. One of the men even let us try on his silk robe that was embroidered with war fighters! He had already drank a bit too much sake. haha.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When we left that house the guy in the silk robe followed us out and insisted that we come across the street to his home. We tried our hardest to politely decline but he wasn’t having it so off we went, up to his house, to the surprise of his family. They were very nice and passed around a soup for us to try with mushrooms, greens, and rice cakes. We didn’t stay long since our group had about 9 people and we had yet another place to get to.



We headed back into the town and got a cab ride to a restaurant that one of the Japanese people knew the owner and it turns out we were ushered into the closed restaurant to be served personally by the chef. The chef’s wife also asked me to help interview her son in English for a class project. Of course I accepted.

By the time we tried all of the delicious foods he had prepared for us, I was completely stuffed. At this time the rain had started to pick up outside pitter-pattering down the roof tops. They allowed us to borrow umbrellas and then we were off walking towards the center of town for the parade.

The streets were a sight to be hold! Every cho was dressed in their silk robes representing their neighborhood and we lined up in the streets with everyone else as one of the floats rounded the corner. It was magnificent. Apparently they hold the parade for hours but because of the rain they were bringing the floats to the center of the town and getting them inside out of the weather so they wouldn’t get ruined. What a great festival and parade!

I ended the day at a stand buying a banana dipped in chocolate on a stick. We were kindly given a ride back to our car and hit the road for home. Chi had stayed behind with her friends so it was just the American crew on the way back. We got lost about 8 different times which is the usual over here. haha.

Karatsu 2

This is one of my most favorite Japanese experiences so far!


Touring the Ramparts– Seoul, Korea


Since my sister was coming to live with me in Japan I decided to do something nice, such as buying us tickets to Korea for a four-day weekend! I submitted a chit and once that was approved, I bought the tickets and sprung the surprise on her 2 weeks after she had arrived!

Two of my friends were traveling with us and one of them travels to Korea as often as possible, works with a missionary there and is pretty knowledgeable about where to go and what to do. We packed our small bags the night before and the next day as soon as work was over, we were on our way to the airport to catch our 45 minute flight to Pusan.

We flew with Korean air which was an excellent experience (I love all international airlines), we received a full meal during the 45 minute flight and we even got two free Kirin’s (beers) to drink. My sister and I were in the last two seats on the plane. It was great!

That night we took the train from Pusan to Seoul, barely catching the last one there and headed to our hotel which was located in Gangnam Korea, if you know Gangnam Style, then you will know that this suburb of Seoul is very up scale, even though we are not very upscale people. haha.

The next morning we woke up and met with a friend of our friend who would be giving us a walking tour of Korea! He was the nicest man named Tae Wook Kim and he was giving us a trekking tour for free except for our food expenses. What we didn’t realize was that trekking was more like hiking and we were definitely not prepared for that. My only saving grace is that I had decided to wear tenner shoes. Thank God!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We stopped at the Korean National Theater for a brief on the plan, were given maps, and then we set off on our journey. Boy did we see Seoul in a day! We walked all over the place. Probably around 7 miles. We walked along the ramparts of Korea, which is like a mini great wall of China and we hiked up this huge mountain to see all of Seoul from the top. It was magnificent. We took many pictures and one of the hardest parts was choosing the pictures to show here.

We climbed straight down the mountain on the other side and walked to the Blue House which is equivalent to the White House in America. We went into the information center and took green screen photos with the President Lee Myung-Bak and his wife and we also sat at “his desk” and took photos there.

As the sun was setting we walked through the lover’s area where I learned an interesting fact about South Korea. Normally, men and women in Korea do not marry until they are in there late twenties early thirties, which means they start dating later as well. Which means South Korean’s are very romantic people and they go on my dates to catch up for lost time. It was very cute seeing all of the older couples in this area. We tried all sorts of new foods, our favorite being dough filled with cinnamon and flatted like a pancake on grease. Those were great!

This was the end of our tour.

The next day we went to a Korean Temple and Namdaemun a BIGG outdoor shopping center that sells everything and anything. It was great! I got part of my Halloween costume here (since I was being PSY) and we shopped all morning. We also bought the softest blankets ever.

Ben took us for an authentic Korean meal with Kimchi (picked cabbage) and a few other popular items and then we were flying back so we said our good byes to our friend and I headed to the airport. If given the chance I would definitely go back to Korea. It was a great experience!